Pages

Monday, August 15, 2011

Another day in elk country

August 10th 2011 found me once again in the Benezette terrain in search of some nice bull elk. It took 6 hours to find this fella off of Mt. Zion rd. Never been back this far before but just had to have one more chance before departing home.

As I approached a divide in the road I decided to swing in off the main to a small tram road and there he was up there standing right in the middle of the road. As I approached he went across the road as if the go down over the hill then suddenly turned back from where he came.

He gave me many good shots on the Canon 40D and I got within 20feet of him and he sort of welkomed me to his lil world.

2 comments:

Willard said...

Hi Richard, Just got back from a week up there. Only saw one large bull and two raghorns on Winslow Hill along Winslow Hill Road. Also saw a raghorn ans several spikes in the saddle. It seems that most of the bulls are on Gray Hill and Spring Run, but they should be showing up on the hill soon. I got a very nice one where Mt. Zion and Burke road meets. I'll probably post him today or at least soon--I'm getting ready to post some of the bulls and I'll see how it works out. I'll be looking for you in September.

richard l coy said...

thanks Williard for the update. I am hoping for a good turn out September 24th 2011 for the elk shoot. The rut season is a must see event if you photograph or dont.
I know its a busy time for most but to get together discuss amd most of all meet those you have never met seems to me a grand time of fellowship.
This as I know it is a first maybe it can become an annual event. Hope you and brother Coy can make it even for a few minutes.